Rising carbon dioxide is greening the Earth - but it's not all good news

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Fri Aug 19 15:30:53 PDT 2016

On 08/19/2016 08:00 AM, Steve Kinney wrote:
> On 08/17/2016 09:46 PM, Mirimir wrote:
>
>> Arguing about anthropogenic climate forcing is just fucking
>> useless. The latency is too great, and there are too many positive
>> feedbacks. By the time that impacts are undeniable enough to
>> motivate substantial reductions in CO2 emissions, it will be too
>> late.
>
> About the time follow up studies measured and confirmed annual summer
> methane discharges from thawed out former Arctic permafrost (ancient
> peat bogs, tidal flats etc.), climatologists stopped talking about
> "stopping" much less reversing global warming.

Right, that will likely be a major factor. I'm betting that we'll see
regional forest burn-offs, as precipitation shifts away from the
equator. Amazon will become grasslands and desert. Africa too.

Migration will be a bitch. Maybe US and EU will nuke strategically to
prevent that. Maybe we'll finally see WWIII ;)

> So far I am not aware of any positive public statements from competent
> actors to the effect that global warming is now self-driving
> regardless of human activity.  I suspect there is a quiet consensus
> that telling this particular truth would do more harm that good:  The
> human contribution to global warming does continue to accelerate the
> process and enlarge its "final" impact, so statements that could be
> taken as excuses to just give up on reducing greenhouse gas emissions
> would be counter-productive.

Before too long, it won't matter ;)

> With or without global warming, the exponential growth of human
> population and the industrial processes that drive this growth had to
> end sometime.  That time is "real soon now."

Interesting times are coming, for sure ;)