[liberationtech] Tor Browser 6.0.4 is ready for testing

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Tue Aug 16 10:19:43 PDT 2016

On 08/16/2016 12:19 AM, juan wrote:

>> In part because of the time that passed between the first,
>> exceptionally damaging public release of Manning's material, and
>> the arrest - some time after the third exceptionally damaging
>> release.
>

> WHat damaging releases were those? I can think of the 'collateral
> murder' video as somewhat upsetting to the pentagon's propaganda
> efforts, for a few weeks, but that was all.

The 'collateral murder' video hit Iraq during negotiations with the
3rd (?) post-conquest iteration of an allegedly sovereign Iraqi
government for continued U.S. occupation and control of Iraq.  It
pissed the Iraqi public off so badly that continued 100% immunity from
local prosecution of U.S. persons for any and all crimes including
murder was taken off the table.  In consequence of this, the U.S.
occupation force was pulled out of Iraq.  This was more than a little
inconvenient, it was bloody expensive.

The U.S. proxy force "formerly known as" ISIS have a dual mission:
West of the Syria/Iraq border, the ongoing destabilization of Syria to
prevent construction of oil & gas pipelines from Iran to a
BRICS-friendly Mediterranean seaport.  East of the border, to force
the Iraqis to allow U.S. occupation forces back in to "protect" Iraq
from an invading armed force and assure continued US/NATO control of
Iraqi oil.

The Cablegate and War Diaries releases both stirred diplomatic
anthills, complicating or terminating numerous U.S. foreign policy
operations in progress, causing direct losses on numerous fronts and
imposing global scale damage control tasks.  All of the above cost
money - a damn lot of it - and tied up human resources that would have
otherwise been very productively engaged in business as usual, i.e.
looting the planet.

Compare and contrast this impact to that of the well controlled
Snowden leak, which has caused a bit of embarrassment while serving
the practical purpose of putting the U.S. civilian population on
notice that Big Brother really is watching their every move.  On the
domestic political warfare front, State and Corporate actors would not
necessarily view this as a Bad Thing, as cultivating paranoia is one
of their long term self-defense missions.

Somebody probably located in Germany has since handed the world NSA
docs with more practical impact on U.S. espionage operations than the
whole Snowden Affair to date, and the U.S. public at large has no idea
it even happened.  Propaganda costs money and nobody on this side of
the Atlantic seems to be interested in paying for play in this case.

> And you didn't really address my points, especially the fact that
> it is safer to physically mail stuff.

I would not call that a 'fact' without considering that physically
mailing storage media has its own inherent risks.  IIRC, Wikileaks'
advertised postal addresses are in "Five Eyes" territory, so nothing
will be delivered via post without e-z and unavoidable State
inspection and approval.  Arranging any physical delivery method that
might be more secure would require two-way communication in advance
with Wikileaks, so why not simplicate matters by using the same
"secure" comms channel to transmit the docs and have done with it?

:o)