Fwd: [liberationtech] Tor Browser 6.0.4 is ready for testing

Rayzer rayzer at riseup.net
Mon Aug 15 10:42:27 PDT 2016

On 08/15/2016 10:12 AM, Steve Kinney wrote:

> limitations are understood and pessimistic assumptions are made, of course.

This is what I've been saying all along. The assumption is ONLY that it
buys you some time to GTFO of that internet cafe and down the road. With
Tails, you get a level up in anonymity perhaps because the machine used
is at least hard, if not impossible to identify.

Case in point: The local internet provider here uses AOL upstream, and
one day, while torrenting (transmission, full encryption on) a music
album , my supervisor came in and asked if I was running a torrent
client... that she'd received a call from the local provider about
someone bootlegging. She's a sympathetic sort so I say 'yeah' and told
her what it was... A WARNER album.

AOL/Time/Warner is apparently sniffing every packet passing through
their servers identified as a torrent for bootleg content. It took about
an hour for AOL > Local provider and a phone call from them.

Rr

(Ps, to those who collect such things note gpg sig update)