Anarchist Bibliography, please? (was Re: Deconstructing an Institutional Slander...)

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Tue Aug 9 12:43:22 PDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 04:00:47AM -0300, Cecilia Tanaka wrote:
> On Jul 29, 2016 10:36 PM, "juan" <juan.g71 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >         Are you talking about equality before the law? (which logically
> entails anarchism btw)
>
> Juan dear,
>
> Instead arguing with you about vocabulary, real meaning of some words or
> not, limits of some concepts, gender equality, men and women, storks and
> babies, I decided asking for help and avoid a possible gaffe or being
> unfair with you.  :P
>
> I was thinking about asking you some suggestions of good anarchist
> readings, because I made some searches and  - wow! -  the bibliography is
> really huge.  I need some help to separate the wheat from the shaft,
> please.  Or a guide "Advanced Anarchism for Dummies".  I know only the baby
> steps, sorry.  :(

Besides all the stuff already mentioned, some decent "anarchy
fiction" would be the Culture books by Ian Banks..  set in a distant
post-scarcity future, the "Culture" in question is definitely an
interesting take on anarchy. Large swaths of humanity populate the
galaxy, mostly living in enormous space stations (huge rotating
stanford torus-style rings). Benevolent AIs "watch over" humanity,
but anyone can choose to opt out and no one has to obey, although
obviously cooperation helps..  the books are great.

If you dig punk/hardcore, the band Propagandhi makes some great
shit. Their lyrics are all about freedom and the crimes of our
oppressors, and the lyrics are smart, the music is fucking great.
Less Talk, More Rock and Todays Empires, Tomorrows Ashes are both
fantastic. Although, they do get a little too precious about veganism
for my, err, tastes... ;)

I haven't read Bakunin or any of the 'real' stuff since high school
or early college.. Reading about the russian revolution recently
was very depressing. Personally I don't hold much hope for humanity..I
figure the solution to Fermis paradox is self-evident. We are going
to fucking destroy ourselves. Live it up while you can ;)

John