Quantum entangled-photon Chinese satellite.

juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 16:14:24 PDT 2016

On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 17:50:27 -0600
Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:

> The Present Situation in Quantum Mechanics: A Translation of
> Schrödinger's "Cat Paradox" Paper
> <http://www.jstor.org.secure.sci-hub.cc/stable/986572>

	So, the zombie cat is indeed a reductio-ad-absurdum of sorts
	(the translator uses the word 'ridiculous') and schroedinger's
	view is less stupid and crazy than what vulgar QM
	'philosophers' believe. At least as far as
	'blurring' ('superposition') goes.

	On the other hand he does present a rather retarded 'rejection'
	of 'naive realism'...justified by 'epistemology' (hahaha). Which
	of course means that what the mainstream calls QM is not physics
	but pseudo-philosophy.

--------------------

5. Are the Variables Really Blurred?

The other alternative consisted of granting reality
 only to the momentarily sharp determining parts-
or in more general terms to each variable a sort of
 realization just corresponding to the quantum me
chanical statistics of this variable at the relevant
moment.

That it is in fact not impossible to express the
degree and kind of blurring of all variables in one
perfectly clear concept follows at once from the fact
that Q.M. as a matter of fact has and uses such an
instrument,  the so-called wave function or psi-function,
also called system vector. Much more is to be said
about it further on. That it is an abstract, unintuitive
mathematical construct is a scruple that almost always
surfaces against new aids to thought and that carries
no great message. At all events it is an imagined
entity that images the blurring of all variables at
every moment just as clearly and faithfully as the
classical model does its sharp numerical values. Its
equation of motion too, the law of its time variation,
so long as the system is left undisturbed, lags not one
iota, in clarity and determinacy, behind the equations
of motion of the classical model. So the latter could
be straight-forwardly  replaced by the psi-function, so
long as the blurring is confined to atomic scale, not
open to direct control. In fact the function has pro-
vided quite intuitive and convenient ideas, for in-
stance the "cloud of negative electricity" around the
nucleus, etc. But serious misgivings arise if one
notices that the uncertainty affects macroscopically
tangible and visible things, for which the term"blur-
ring" seems simply wrong. The state of a radioactive
nucleus is presumably blurred in such degree and
fashion that neither the instant of decay nor the
direction, in which the emitted a-particle leaves the
nucleus, is well-established. Inside the nucleus, blur-
ring doesn't bother us. The emerging particle is
described, if one wants to explain intuitively, as a
spherical wave that continuously emanates in all di-
rections from the nucleus and that impinges continu
ously on a surrounding  luminescent screen over its
full expanse. The screen however does not show a
more or less constant uniform surface glow,but rather
lights up at one instant at one spot, or, to honor the
truth, it lights up now here, now there, for it is im-
possible to do the experiment with only a single radio-
active atom. If in place of the luminescent screen
one uses a spatially extended detector, perhaps a gas
that is ionised by the a-particles, one finds the ion
pairs arranged along rectilinear columns that project
backwards on to the bit of radioactive matter from
which the a-radiation comes (C.T.R. Wilson's cloud
chamber tracks, made visible by drops of moisture
condensed on the ions).

One can even set up quite ridiculous cases. A cat
is penned up in a steel chamber, along with the fol
lowing diabolical device (which must be secured
against direct interference by the cat): in a Geiger
counter there is a tiny bit of radioactive substance, so
small, that perhaps in the course of one hour one of
the atoms decays, but also, with equal probability,
perhaps none; if it happens, the counter tube dis-
charges and through a relay releases a hammer which
shatters a small flask of hydrocyanic acid. If one
has left this entire system to itself for an hour, one
would say that the cat still lives if meanwhile no atom
has decayed. The first atomic decay would have
poisoned it. The psi-function of the entire system
would express this by having in it the living and the
dead cat (pardon the expression) mixed or smeared
out in equal parts.

It is typical of these cases that an indeterminacy
originally restricted to the atomic domain becomes
transformed into macroscopic indeterminacy, which
can then be resolved by direct observation. That
prevents us from so naively accepting as valid a
"blurred model" for representing reality