moving on

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Mon Aug 22 16:06:08 PDT 2016

On 08/22/2016 06:20 PM, Ben 0wned wrote:

> I joined this list because i thought it was about technology and
> security. Wow - this anti-govt shit has got to go. Where i live
> people disappear offending the wrong person.

This is a list about the intersection of networked computing
technology and political power, and per history "anti-gov shit" is on
topic here.

The Internet is an enabler of social, economic, cultural and political
change on a scale comparable to the printing press or broadcast A/V
technology.  Whether this change moves us in the direction of a global
Orwellian State or enables scalable, resilient Direct Democracies will
be determined by the outcome of a three way war for control of the
medium:  State, Corporate and Populist interests are the major
combatants, and arming the Populists against State and Corporate
actors has been the historical mission of Cypherpunks.  Where else
will you find people who can describe and discuss:

Mathematical Munitions

The Crypto Wars

Online Anonymity

Digital Anarchy

Where I live people get propositioned or blackmailed to work as
snitches, blacklisted from employment, put on bounty lists offering
police officers rewards for /any/ trumped up criminal conviction, and
occasionally just get murdered on orders from people positioned to
obstruct criminal investigations.  Where our lords and masters fail is
in their inability to understand the concept "when you ain't got
nothing, you got nothing to lose."

At present I am reasonably OK with the content of the list:  More
technology news & discussion, especially where and as this may enable
collaborative work, education, and promotion of useful tools is always
a Good Thing.  But what makes this Cypherpunks is recognition and
discussion of the political context where network security takes
place, which in large part defines the assets defended, threat models,
and practical goals of network security.

If you want to /mortally/ offend the wrong person and live to tell the
tale, ask us how.  We have the technology.

;o)