Revolt Against Tor Over Rape Claims, Process, Board, Etc

Razer rayzer at riseup.net
Sun Aug 21 20:38:44 PDT 2016

On 08/21/2016 07:48 PM, grarpamp wrote:
> Ryan Lackey ‏rdl @octal 9h9 hours ago
> Just when I thought the Tor drama couldn't get even more pathetic:
> #torstrike (original).
> It is like honeytrap for lameness.
> ***
> However, I think some kind of anonymity overlay network is essential,
> but Tor in specific, and onion architectures in general, are doomed.
> But if Tor now exists to trap lameness on both sides and keep the rest
> of the cypherpunk anonymity tool space clear, that is probably useful
> ***
>
> Summary emphasis not in original.

One of the ops I'm in convo with on twitter (DMs)

Me: "Two big complaints I see in re Tor is lack of further development
like  Chaff packets an Mixing etc and the fact that many of the entrance
and  exit nodes seem to be controlled by govt types The former
ameliorates  but doesn't entirely eliminate the latter issue which is
unavoidable My  take is anyone stifling the development of further
obfuscation  techniques is suspect"

The other: "Yes. That was the point of the internal critique that Jacob
and a few others were pursuing. Too much attention on improving the user
experience for a flawed set of protocols."

Me: "Jake was taxing them about flawed protocol? Really!"

The other: "No, no directly - he was saying that protocol hardening is
what as needed, but the USG funders want browser improvements. UX over
substance.

Rr