Revolt Against Tor Over Rape Claims, Process, Board, Etc

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sat Aug 20 17:32:55 PDT 2016

On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 07:27:48PM -0400, S wrote offlist:
> Doesn't it prove that Tor is awesome when state level entities are
> using Tor for their comms and hiding among the traffic. Not sure how
> that is a bad thing as it shows how good the Tor network is at what it
> does not the other way around. Everyone has their own agendas. Let to
> each their own.

Tor, as Juan has pointed out so many times, is developed on only so far
as the USA govt can still maintain a GPA ability.

This means that technically, for some things we can "hide amongst the
traffic" but only if our own chosen speech is not objected to by the USA
state. Or, unless our personal op-sec is really really good.

And so Tor network as it stands today is one sided - in favour of the
USA government, at least in respect of certain types of speech which are
very important to a sane world.

In other words, the rot/crap needs to be improved, and the "community
cathartic experience" of the breakdown happening in Tor community and
Tor Inc is a very good thing - because, it is only the really important
free speech which matters in the long term (think survival of the
species etc).

Accepting fundamental compromises to our principles is not the punk way
- at least, it's not my way.

HTH ..