software - multiple version installs (any distro developers here?)

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Wed Aug 17 03:23:53 PDT 2016

>> If troubled on Linux, at least look at the BSD's... their hier's
>> are cleaner and enforced, partly from not going the "distro" model
>> of random thunkers.
>
> Yes, a bucket list item for me - my attempt at Red Hat doesn't bode well
> though - we are creatures of habit.
>
> Thanks heaps for the feedback.

You haven't had the full pleasure of running a UNIX system until you've used FreeBSD :). I prefer it for my own servers every time.... but of course I'm running against the grain with that preference, the day job being a pure redhat shop...

I couldn't say whether FreeBSD has as good an end user desktop experience, although I suspect it should, assuming your hardware supported. I think nvidia has an X11 driver for FreeBSD in addition to Linux... I've actually been pretty impressed with redhat 7 and the default gnome 3, after installing the nvidia drivers (I'm not an open source nazi, they work better than nouveau...)

John