software - multiple version installs (any distro developers here?)

Tom tom at vondein.org
Wed Aug 17 00:12:25 PDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 01:30:17PM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> A major distro heading that way (e.g. Debian) might encourage developers
> to increase the configurability of their own software perhaps?

Developers != distro|package maintainers, and free software should be
portable and not distro specific. So, developers wouldn't have anything to
do here, only maintainers.

https://xkcd.com/927/  :)

> So look into /var/lib/dpkg/info - that's heading for 9K files on my
> system - and this is a relatively fresh install (<12months)!
>
> That's not human friendly.

Because humans are not the intended audience for this stuff.
Use dpkg -l [| less or the like].

> The point is just multiple versions parallel installs, that's all.

There are already solutions for this, e.g. look at PC-BSDs packages.
Or use a container. Or compile yourself and set --prefix accordingly.

> Given my experience, your "nobody wants" is too broad by at least 1 :)

You're free to start a new project. Maybe others will join, maybe not.

best,
Tom