Fwd: [liberationtech] Tor Browser 6.0.4 is ready for testing

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Mon Aug 15 10:12:28 PDT 2016

On 08/15/2016 12:24 PM, Cecilia Tanaka wrote:
> Uff...  Some months ago, I would be happy.  Now, it means nothing...  :((

Like any other tool, the TOR Browser has strengths and weaknesses,
appropriate uses and foolish/destructive uses.

Lest we forget, Chelsea Manning used TOR to move massive amounts of data
to Wikileaks.  One can argue that Ed Snowden found what he was allowed
to find and shipped it to Greenwald & Co. under the approving gaze of
some compartment at NSA; Manning, not so much.  Billions of dollars
worth of damage were done to the U.S. National Interest, which is why
she rates a sentence of slow death by ritualistic torture.

This recording was never supposed to see the light of day, but it walked
right out of a tightly secured base and onto the Internet within hours:
Manning tells all, including how and why to do that thing:

https://freedom.press/blog/2016/04/freedom-press-foundation-publishes-leaked-audio-bradley-manning%E2%80%99s-statement

-or-

https://tinyurl.com/jrvbj8o

She would have gotten away with it, too, if some "individual" who needs
not be named had not sold her for cheap.

Onion routing can be a useful part of a complete operational security
toolkit.  Only when its limitations are understood and pessimistic
assumptions are made, of course.

:o)