never attribute 'stupidity' when 'malice with intent' is more than sufficient

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Wed Aug 3 17:52:24 PDT 2016

On Thu, 2016-08-04 at 10:31 +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>    Subject: [ PFIR ] Report: Operating Systems Should Actively Block Pirated Downloads
> https://torrentfreak.com/rightsholders-want-microsoft-ban-pirated-software-windows-160803/
>
>   	Apple, Google and Microsoft, are in an ideal position to deter
> 	piracy, according to a new report published by Black Market
> 	Watch and the Global Initiative against Transnational
> 	Organized Crime. The controversial report opts for voluntary
> 	or mandatory blocking of pirated content on the operating
> 	system level.

That's not something that should be in the OS, especially in light of
the fact copyright law includes this little thing called "fair use." How
the hell is the OS going to tell the difference between a warez rat and
someone downloading something under fair use?

This is also why, when and where feasible, I run an operating system not
made by one of those three companies. I use Android devices (they are
clearly the least of those three evils) and I would suspect that Google
is the most likely of the companies named to give the would-be copyright
infringement police the middle finger.