Re: "Deleting WhatsApp chats doesn’t delete shit nothing."

Rayzer rayzer at riseup.net
Tue Aug 2 18:39:49 PDT 2016

On 08/02/2016 03:16 PM, Cecilia Tanaka wrote:

> Rayzer dear...  Meh!  :((((
>
> http://venturebeat.com/2016/08/02/hackers-break-into-telegram-revealing-15-million-users-phone-numbers
>
> https://telegram.org/blog/15million-reuters
>
> PS:  -  Sorry, still late!  :P
>
> (And if you are boring and invasive, I certainly will be late
> forever!  Give up, baby!)
>

> which can be intercepted by the phone company and shared with the hackers,

With this:

    The researchers said they also found evidence that the hackers took
    advantage of a programing interface built into Telegram to identify
    at least 15 million Iranian phone numbers with Telegram accounts
    registered to them, as well as the associated user IDs.

As a redundancy and elaboration of the former quote including
Multisyllabic phrases such as "systematic de-anonymization" to muddle
the issue, and make it appear to be another issue when it isn't.

Apparently all they got are the phone numbers from the sms verification,
and hackers didn't do it. The phoneco GAVE THEM the info. It requires
complicity on the part of the utility. Which is something one can assume
any commercial service would do if a government requests and under THEIR
LAW (Iran in this case) claims criminal activity. The extraction of data
they can do with that phone number It requires that you never set up an
account with password.

A burner smartphone, which by the way US Congress is trying to outlaw,
circumvents. Set up a passworded account using a throwaway email. Done.
Telegram has always cajoled people to set up an account with password
for extra security

Listen, as I've been repeating over an over sometimes directly,
sometimes indirectly ... bad PERSEC/CYBERSEC screws you so much more
often than the communications method or it's potentially compromised
code. Probably 99% of the time but I've never crunched the numbers. NO
ONE can hold your hand to make sure you do it right. If your life or
freedom depend on it YOU DO IT RIGHT.

Rr