Do you notice significant persistent change in climate?

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Wed Apr 6 13:12:15 PDT 2016

On 04/06/2016 08:49 AM, Georgi Guninski wrote:

> Do you notice significant persistent change in climate during
> your lifetime?
>
> Also increase in  major natural disasters (not counting m$
> products/ services)?
>
> I do in Bulgaria, SE Europe.

In Central Florida in the 1960s, midwinter frost was very often
present in the morning in most open areas (think suburban yards).
By the 1980s frost was very rarely seen, and many who have lived
in the area since 2000 or so have never seen frost.  From at least
the 1960s through 1980s, seasonal hard freezes were seen during
most winters.  Since around 2000, hard freezes only happen when
major storm fronts come down from the Arctic.

In the same part of the world, a widespread and very visible
native plant called the beauty berry would produce the purple
berries it is named for in early fall, shortly after the last hot
day of the year.  This performance was synchronized across
hundreds of square miles.  Beginning in the late 1990s, the beauty
berry is no longer a reliable predictor of the weather:  It now
produces its berries in isolated patches, across a span of about
six weeks.

I think NASA, NOAA, and about 97% of geophysicists have noticed a
few things, too.  The physical models that account for and now
predict their observations are stupidly simple and easy to
understand - if one is willing to make the effort.

As for natural disasters, that's an awfully broad category.  The
more networked the world becomes, and the more motivated press
agencies are to present sensational images, the smaller the event
that qualifies as a "disaster" /and/ the more people hear about
them.  I suspect that any observed "increase" over the last few
decades would most likely be an illusion.

:o)