Warrant canaries appear to be usable by large US companies - Reddit in this case

Sean Lynch seanl at literati.org
Mon Apr 4 10:34:47 PDT 2016

On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 8:19 AM, Rayzer <Rayzer at riseup.net> wrote:

> Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > Here and there someone pokes their illogical head up and says "Warrant
> > canaries can't work" or "warrant canaries will get you introuble with
> > the law" or some variation on the theme. It boggles me fookin marnd,
> > it do. Perhaps this story can help massage some of those mental
> > tensions...
>
> From what I've read the legal department at reddit isn't really sure
> whether it violated the law by killing it's canary.

Do we know for sure that Reddit deleted the canary because something
happened that killed the canary, rather than because their legal department
decided that the canary was possibly not legal in the first place? One
would think they would simply say that's why they did it if that were the
case, but the fact that they didn't say that is the only evidence I'm aware
of that it's NOT because they decided it was illegal.