#FBIvApple: Cellbrite was just a ruse. "The Greys" cracked it.

Rayzer Rayzer at riseup.net
Tue Apr 12 20:51:30 PDT 2016

The FBI hired shady grey digital mercenaries (my apologies if I butthurt
anyone on this list or their friends) to crack the San Bernardino
shooter's iPhone.

Washington Post:

    The people who helped the U.S. government come from the sometimes
    shadowy world of hackers and security researchers who profit from
    finding flaws in companies’ software or systems.

    Some hackers, known as “white hats,” disclose the vulnerabilities to
    the firms responsible for the software or to the public so they can
    be fixed and are generally regarded as ethical. Others, called
    “black hats,” use the information to hack networks and steal
    people’s personal information.

    At least one of the people who helped the FBI in the San Bernardino
    case falls into a third category, often considered ethically murky:
    researchers who sell flaws — for instance, to governments or to
    companies that make surveillance tools.

    This last group, dubbed “gray hats,”

More:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/fbi-paid-professional-hackers-one-time-fee-to-crack-san-bernardino-iphone/2016/04/12/5397814a-00de-11e6-9d36-33d198ea26c5_story.html

--
RR
"Through counter-intelligence it should be possible to pinpoint potential trouble-makers ... And neutralize them, neutralize them, neutralize them"