NPR story: When A Dark Web Volunteer Gets Raided By The Police

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 11:38:01 PDT 2016

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/04/04/472992023/when-a-dark-web-volunteer-gets-raided-by-the-police

He/they gave passwords and let govt search (and perhaps even index,
hash, and copy, knowingly or not [1]) his (possibly then unencrypted) data.
As opposed to having it confiscated pending potentially 2^128 time.
Where is the principled stand there? [2][4]

[1] This happened while he was detained outside / away from
control of his systems.

[2] He "may now have to get rid of his computers because he
can't be sure what the police did to them [3]". For which giving
passwords had no purpose but to nullify a potentially good test
case, trample rights and replace "innocent till guilty" with "violated,
chilled, innocent for now, while Cardinal Richelieu's database hums...
... If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest
of men, whether or not I find something in them which will hang him,
I will database them and own his soul forever."

[3] Already did:
https://twitter.com/SeattlePrivacy/status/716460499106340864

[4] Due credit, thugs with guns at your door does tend to
modify even the most well thought and prepared for principles.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger for next time.