tox

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Mon Sep 28 07:47:16 PDT 2015

WebRTC: https://meet.jit.si

Open source, self-hostable, very good performance despite (I think?) P2P
crypto in-browser. Really the only problem is that so few browsers do
WebRTC well enough to run it!

Usability is *very* noob-friendly, just define a private URL or get one
from the server on first-visit, and send to friends. They open the link,
and are dropped into chat-server. The hardest UX part of Jitsi meet is
teaching people to click "Allow Camera and Mic" on first visit.. you'd
be surprised how big a deal this is for people actually.

In fact, the difficulty getting people to click just that one button to
use Jitsi Meet may be what finally broke my spirit and made me realise
that users are quite often too stupid to successfully use *anything* and
that only brand reputation makes them persevere to use shit like Skype.