Privacy Respecting Laptops

Blibbet blibbet at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 08:31:42 PDT 2015

On 09/20/2015 06:54 AM, hellekin wrote:
> On 09/14/2015 07:51 PM, Blibbet wrote:
>>
>> RMS
>> doesn't seem to care for Open Source Hardware, just Free Software
>
> That's not true.  He cares a lot.  But he has a lot on his plate with
> free software already.  The RYF program of the FSF is proof that he
> cares.  But FSF still is a *small* organization, with a large battlefield.

Sigh, I meant to say "Free Hardware", not "Free Software" above....

My comment was based on last time I saw video of RMS talk about
hardware, ignored existing HW licensing, and only mentioned his newer
Free Hardware concept. No mention to existing Open Source Hardare
(OSHWA) license, just mentioned GPL. I wonder if there's any way FSF can
work WITH OSHWA and not ignore them. I'm worried that if the Free HW and
Open HW divide, that's fewer resources in tiny non-Closed HW niche. It
seems they're the BSD of hardware, and you can just declare them Free
and GPL them when you touch it.

IMO, FSF could do with a lot more clear Free Hardware guidance to
OEMs/IHVs, including RYF. I hope FSF, Linux Foundation, and others get
serious about funding it. Most OEMs/IHVs won't touch GPL hardware, they
still use the IP model, and blobs are normal to them.

I'd LOVE to see a press release from FSF and OSHWA saying they're
working together to create a spectrum of non-closed hardware, from Open
Source Hardware Association-licensed HW to GPL-licensed Free Hardware,
getting OSHWA to back the FSF RYF program. Perhaps come up with a logo
that clarifies Closed/Open/Free nature of the HW, as well as mentioning
the firmware it uses.

I should be seeing regular, weekly spam from FSF reminding people to
fund a variety of new CrowdSupply.com-funded hardware, like USBArmory,
Novena, and other hardware. I recall seeing one press release from FSF
asking for Replicant help; OSMOCOMBB or an SDR equivalent is needed. A
wifi solution is needed. Right now, it seems the org leading the way for
Open/Free Hardware designs is the Open Compute Project, and it is only
targeting enterprise hardware, no privacy-respecting hardware. Community
is offering little advise to vendors, as previous post in thread
suggested. Someone from FSF should give a talk on Free Hardware at
Embedded Linux Conference, HotChips, and other places where OEMs/IHVs
attend.