Fw: WiFi router networking?

The Doctor drwho at virtadpt.net
Fri Sep 18 10:23:18 PDT 2015

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 20:07:52 -0400
Steve Kinney <admin at pilobilus.net> wrote:

> A friend turned me on to this some time ago.  I have yet to set up
> any mesh networks but it does look VERY promising.
> http://hsmm-mesh.org/

It's an okay networking technology.  It's a few generations behind what we're actually fielding these days but they're using OLSR for maintaining the routing table, so that's something.  It's also hams only, so I'd advise caution if you don't have your ticket but want to experiment with it, new nodes that aren't recognized will draw a lot of attention.

One of the gotchas from their FAQ: "You can't use Wi-Fi to connect to a mesh node from your computer, netbook, smart phone or other wireless device."  Back to hardwiring.

Go Ubiquiti.  Linksys hardware is bobbins these days.

https://openwrt.org/

--
The Doctor [412/724/301/703/415] [ZS]

WWW: https://drwho.virtadpt.net/

"You've seen one elemental core, you've seen 'em all."