Privacy Respecting Laptops

Travis Biehn tbiehn at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 05:37:45 PDT 2015

Oshwm: Seems reasonable. It would be cool if consumers started valuing
privacy-oriented products, now the whole plot is lost once a company uses a
3rd party load balancer? Nice.

"Every hardware chip individually selected for being freedom-respecting"
Is that in the datasheet for each chip "no backdoors & 100% certified
vulnerability free"? Does an Intel chipset laptop manufactured in Shenzen
really count as 'thoughtful and freedom respecting'?

“Getting rid of the signature checking is an important step. While it
doesn’t give us free code for the firmware, it means that users will really
have control of the firmware once we get free code for it.” - Dr. Richard
M. Stallman

And without signature checks how will we prevent un-solicited BIOS
modification?

Securing their Trisquel derived distro?

RMS doesn't have 'robust against nation state attackers' on his platform
for GNU. They're still just trying to get people to comply with the license
& refer to it as 'gnu / linux'.

Don't mistake a 'FOSS' laptop for a 'Privacy Laptop' just because they
installed a switch for the webcam. The privacy stuff is just the work of
marketing.

-Travis

--
Twitter <https://twitter.com/tbiehn> | LinkedIn