Possible crypto backdoor in RFC-2631 Diffie-Hellman Key Agreement Method

Georgi Guninski guninski at guninski.com
Sun Sep 6 01:27:09 PDT 2015

On Sun, Sep 06, 2015 at 07:56:07AM +0000, Peter Gutmann wrote:

> I haven't seen anything about this (so far) that doesn't class it as a purely
> certificational weakness.  Consider the following equivalent of the flaw, but

OK, you might be right.

Summary of my verbiage on this list is here:
https://j.ludost.net/blog/archives/2015/09/05/rfc-2631_fips_186-3_and_openssls_implementation_of_dsa_appear_broken_and_possibly_backdoored/index.html

besides DH:

2) openssl 1.0.1p accepts composite $q$ in DSA
3) fips 160? forces small subgroup as low as 160 bits
and openssl 1.0.1p insists on this.

The repeat, the DL is subexponential in the whole group
of order $p-1$ and I don't exclude the possibility to
be easier in the small forced subgroup.

Have fun,
--
georgi