Re: Activists leak Russian government’s plans to create a ‘national Internet’

Travis Biehn tbiehn at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 07:10:53 PDT 2015

Nothing wrong with doing a little research, I welcome any efforts of making
internet supporting technologies look like the antiquated lead-lined
aqueducts of Rome.

Is this any different from Internet2?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet2

"secure identity and access management tools"

Internet2 is a not-for-profit United States computer networking consortium
led by members from the research and education communities, industry, and
government.[2] The Internet2 consortium administrative headquarters are
located in Ann Arbor, Michigan, with offices in Washington, D.C. and
Emeryville, California.[1]

As of November 2013, Internet2 has over 500 members including 251
institutions of higher education,[3] 9 partners and 76 members from
industry,[4] over 100 research and education networks or connector
organizations,[5][6] and 67 affiliate members.[7]

Internet2 operates the Internet2 Network,[8] an Internet Protocol network
using optical fiber that delivers network services for research and
education, and provides a secure network testing and research environment.
In late 2007, Internet2 began operating its newest dynamic circuit network,
the Internet2 DCN, an advanced technology that allows user-based allocation
of data circuits over the fiber-optic network.

The Internet2 Network, through its regional network and connector members,
connects over 60,000 U.S. educational, research, government and "community
anchor" institutions, from primary and secondary schools to community
colleges and universities, public libraries and museums to health care
organizations.[9]

The Internet2 community develops and deploys network technologies for the
future of the Internet. These technologies include large-scale network
performance measurement and management tools,[10] secure identity and
access management tools[11] and capabilities such as scheduling
high-bandwidth, high-performance circuits.[12]

Internet2 members serve on several advisory councils,[13] collaborate in a
variety of working groups and special interest groups,[14] gather at spring
and fall member meetings,[15] and are encouraged to participate in the
strategic planning process.[16]

-Travis

--
Twitter <https://twitter.com/tbiehn> | LinkedIn