Your paper on criminal contracts

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 21 02:50:23 PDT 2015

Your paper:    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCsQFjACahUKEwiF_b_E7IfIAhWQmIgKHc_tAuY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.arijuels.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F09%2Fpublic_gyges.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHOBvCYwJ5Aq0CmHTOY53sGdRs5Sw&sig2=L_lh-zCi016f7Y3jbKVKlQ&bvm=bv.103073922,d.cGU
Thank you for your reply, Dr. Juels,
Once you read my essay, I think you will understand my concern about the motivation for your research, and its potential consequences.   Superficially, and certainly to someone unfamiliar with my idea (Assassination Politics essay),  I'm sure it sounds useful and indeed beneficial to try to prevent the construction and operation of "criminal contracts".   One problem that I see, as a lifetime libertarian, is that "criminal" may mean no more than "what the government wants to ban" rather than an actual victim crime.  Worse, governments are powerfully motivated to prevent developments that will someday likely destroy them.
I suggest that you study the analyses of Bob Vroman  http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=009ape    ,    http://www.mail-archive.com/cypherpunks-moderated@minder.net/msg02068.html     and  of Bob Murphy,  www.anti-state.com/murphy/murphy17.html   (although the Murphy essay might not be available, except as an archive.)  as well as by R.  Sukumaran   http://www.idsa.in/strategicanalysis/CryptologyDigitalAssassinationandtheTerrorismFuturesMarket_rsukumaran_0404.html.
Further, consider

 https://github.com/isislovecruft/patternsinthevoid/blob/master/content/anarchism/game-theory-anarchism-ii-how-information-can-smash-the-state.md
https://c4ss.org/content/1157

series -- anti-state.com

https://www.reddit.com/r/Anarcho_Capitalism/comments/2jo578/arguments_for_against_insurrectionist_ancapism/

There is a lot more where this comes from.

Keep in mind that when I wrote the AP essay, technologies such as Tor, Bitcoin, and especially Ethereum and Augur simply did not exist. But today they do, or at least they soon will.  And that, I consider to be an extremely good thing.
So perhaps you will understand that I consider that trying to prevent _all_ "criminal contracts" from being formed is a major, and indeed dangerous mistake.  While I do not believe that such an effort can ever succeed, I think it would be best not to try.
          Jim Bell