Is this crypto paper real or fake?

Georgi Guninski guninski at guninski.com
Sun Sep 20 22:29:11 PDT 2015

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 11:26:23PM +0100, Peter Fairbrother wrote:
> On 20/09/15 14:53, Georgi Guninski wrote:
> >Found this from a DJB paper:
> >
> >http://www.scs.carleton.ca/~paulv/papers/JoC97.pdf
> >

> >Parallel Collision Search with Cryptanalytic Applications
> >
> >Paul C. van Oorschot and Michael J. Wiener
> >
> >CHECK THE DATE:
> >
> >1996 September 23
>
> Both authors are well-known.
>
> Google says the paper was published in the Journal of Cryptology in 1999.
>
>>days...
>

> The present day open ECC dlog record stands at about 114 bits, iirc:
> that method used ~2014 custom hardware, but not $10 million worth.

Thanks for the answer.

So the DLOG records (Wikipedia gives 113 bits [1] as of 2010)

break these in libressl/openssl:

$ ./inst/libressl-2.2.3/apps/openssl ecparam -list_curves
secp112r1 : SECG/WTLS curve over a 112 bit prime field
secp112r2 : SECG curve over a 112 bit prime field

And these are in quite gray area?

secp128r1 : SECG curve over a 128 bit prime field
secp128r2 : SECG curve over a 128 bit prime field

And what is the computational power of the Bitcoin network
(Allegedly they do 2^80 SHA hashes per week) in terms of
DSA/ECC operations?

AFAIK, for DSA this is just multiplication/squaring modulo
prime for rho.

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Discrete_logarithm_records&oldid=663284373#Elliptic_curves