Re: Would you work if you didn’t have to?

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Fri Sep 18 05:40:34 PDT 2015

I think I'd feel a bit less anxious in general, knowing the worst that
could happen is living in good comfort. I think 30k per person is too much
though, 15k is really quite enough (at least in NL). This also to prevent
complete perversion of reward-for-labor.

I think the "digital nomad"-compatible family of jobs will lose their
associated risk (if it doesn't work out, you're still fine) and that will
help them. Jobs that are highly paid will likely still be pretty rewarding,
too. It's the jobs that pay little now that get the serious change in their
economics. Who wants to pick up garbage for almost no money, when you have
enough money?

It is also hard to estimate how many people will prefer entirely useless
work, or a minimal lifestyle. Given a tease more automation that should not
be a problem. But, remember, as automation increases the basic income can
become less; as a certain level of comfort is achieved at a lower price.
This also gives governments some new and interesting incentives.

The gamble sometimes seems to be whether some "successful creative and
risky business" produces more value than "cheap labor". (And, well, what
those lousy-job-people will do when they get a lot of time on their hands!)