Linux Foundation' Linux workstation security checklist

Blibbet blibbet at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 07:48:18 PDT 2015

On 09/01/2015 08:43 AM, Blibbet wrote:
> On 08/31/2015 07:33 PM, coderman wrote:
>> On 8/31/15, Blibbet <blibbet at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Potential insecurely-built IBM system firmware security aside, I don't
>>> think Libreboot nor SeaBIOS offers much in terms of security to stop
>>> attackers, as well.
> Having an ancient laptop may help. Attackers may not be able to use
> CHIPSEC's HAL, that's the positive side of not being able to use CHIPSEC
> to test your defenses. :-) But there are alternatives to CHIPSEC's HAL,
> and they're less strict about chipsec support, and will likely work on
> old Thinkpads.

Re: security of the IBM Thinkpads refurbished by the Ministry of
Freedom, it might be useful to check if they're in this category:

Quoting a tweet from Joanna if Invisible Things Lab, on the topic of
older hardware (than Purism's current choice):

https://twitter.com/rootkovska/status/643414071514148864

"and old systems do not have IOMMU (VT-d) which makes them even less
secure, trustworthy."