Privacy Respecting Laptops

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Mon Sep 14 08:43:06 PDT 2015

Absolutely, yes; If you ask first for privacy, and there is a good
option for privacy, then that's the correct answer.

Privacy without free software is a total joke.

Ergo, given a potentially spyware rich platform that *markets* itself as
Private, as Google, Apple and Microsoft for example *all do*, or a free
software platform which can be trivially and fairly-well rewritten to
not be spyware-rich, you choose the latter.

It follows that for a privacy respecting laptop, you must necessarily
begin with a laptop that can, to some degree of certainty, be wiped
clean and installed with trustworthy software.

There are many options here; the FSF certify hardware that can be as
blob-free as possible. There are also lots of pitfalls, because the
Linux architecture in many places implicitly trusts the intentions of
device firmwares; it's likely that memory checks aren't implemented well
enough on so many layers that you can never be sure without literally
CMOSing your own device control hardware.

Given all these options and pitfalls, draw a "sanity line" somewhere and
pick some hardware that lets you do modern stuff without torturously
long waits. In that short-list, the Librem still ranks quite well, I feel.

peerio.com: cathalgarvey