How Putin Controls the Internet and Popular Opinion in Russia

Razer Rayzer at riseup.net
Thu Sep 10 10:58:34 PDT 2015

On 09/08/2015 09:25 PM, grarpamp wrote:
> https://theintercept.com/2015/09/08/how-putin-controls-the-russian-internet/
> The key paragraph in Andrei Soldatov and Irina Borogan’s new book, The
> Red Web, comes surprisingly late, after the authors have described the
> long and ambitious construction of a wide-ranging, all-penetrating
> Internet surveillance and censorship system in Russia.
> Just as the Soviet system discovered that it did not need to exert
> total pressure in order to control its population, so the Kremlin has
> now demonstrated that it does not need to block every byte in order to
> exert utter dominance over information.

Right. When the people believe in their government they exert PEER
PRESSURE on their community members to conform, for better or for worse.
That's one reason US society is coming apart at the seams. There is no
faith in the US government by the majority of it's citizens anymore.
> President Obama just like any other US politician is particularly keen
> on criticizing human rights situations in other countries, while
> glorifying the ideals of “American-style democracy.” ...
>
> ... But what do Americans themselves think about the value of this
> “American-style democracy?

http://journal-neo.org/2015/09/07/revolution-is-on-doorstep-is-the-us/

RR
"If I had a dime for every time a right-winger told me to leave the
country if I don't like it, I could leave the country." ~Timmy Smart