Distributed Computing [was: Repbin release v0.0.2]

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 22:43:58 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 5:48 PM, jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Has anybody ever considered the idea of doing otherwise-useful CPU work with

Plenty of distributed computing efforts out there... BOINC, SetiAtHome, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_computing

> the power currently expended  by computing hashes in Bitcoin mining?  The
> most obvious application would be weather forecasting:  It could use a huge
> amount of computation, on a continuously ongoing basis, and is valuable to
> every nation on earth.  Whether it can be lasso'ed into a bitcoin-mining
> engine, I don't know.

Back when mining was done with GPU's, maybe, utilizing the newly
installed base of GPGPU computing therein.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General-purpose_computing_on_graphics_processing_units

Today all relavant mining is done with ASIC's, and all the installed
base of them
can do is SHA-256, so no.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin_network#Bitcoin_mining
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=76.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=81.0

rysiek wrote:
> My dream would be a distributed github replacement (a'la gitchain) where
> proof-of-work is somehow related to compilation, running tests, or somesuch.

Maybe I just saw some news about a distributed repo.
Too much distributed noise lately, so maybe not.
Central here, signing off...