Possible crypto backdoor in RFC-2631 Diffie-Hellman Key Agreement Method

Alfonso De Gregorio alfonso.degregorio at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 07:01:16 PDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 12:30 PM, Georgi Guninski <guninski at guninski.com> wrote:
> btw, doesn't your post contradict another post of yours
> here:
> https://cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/2015-September/009032.html

It doesn't, as long as we don't confuse what is desirable -- and
indeed it is so -- with the practically and systematically attainable.
Or, to paraphrase Danny Strong, idealism loses to pragmatism when it
comes to engineering security.

I'm not even persuaded that writing a formal specifications gives us
always the ability to check the equivalence of implementations. As a
negative case in point, take languages/protocols and their parsers. A
grammar can be understood as a specification. Still, "arithmetically
checking the computational equivalence of parsers [...] is decidable
up to a level of computational power required to parse the language,
and becomes undecidable thereafter". [1]

All of which is to say that checking the computational equivalence of
parsers is still possible. But, as designers, in order to reconcile
the desirable with the practically attainable, we need to stick to the
simplest possible input languages (i.e., regular and context-free).
This is the kind of security trade-offs I was alluding to.

And this also links us to the other thread on browser security,
exploits, and Firefox.

-- Alfonso

[1] http://langsec.org/papers/Bratus.pdf