RE: Hackers spent at least a year spying on Mozilla to discover Firefox security holes – and exploit them

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sun Sep 6 04:01:39 PDT 2015

Juan <juan.g71 at gmail.com> writes:

>On Sat, 5 Sep 2015 18:35:37 +0300 Georgi Guninski <guninski at guninski.com> wrote:
>
>> Likely the mozilla u$a comrades caught the less skilled attackers,
>> not those with r00t access (having in mind what a mess
>> their code is).
>
>Ah, but firefox keeps getting an even cooler GUI every day. How can you not
>like them?

Not to mention their plan to deprecate their extension API, which is the only
thing still separating them from actually being Chrome.  It looks like there
could be a race between them naturally driving their market share to zero
before the API-deprecation, or the API-deprecation forcing the issue.

What we'd really need is a reboot of the project to take it back to its roots,
removing layers and layers of accumulated bloat and "features" no-one wants,
run by dedicated developers who actually listen to their users rather than
doing whatever they think is trendy (mostly just cloning Chrome) and forcing
it on their users.  It'd be like Firefox rising anew from the ashes.  They
could call it, oh, I dunno, something like "Phoenix".

Peter.