Re: Would you work if you didn’t have to?

Zenaan Harkness zen@freedbms.net
Fri Sep 18 04:33:40 PDT 2015

Hi Jim, I remember suggesting this to M about 5 or 6 years ago. I have
not looked into the economics of it (i.e. how Australia's national
budget could make it work) and so it was heartwarming, or at least
very interesting to me, to read the article you forwarded which had a
few (small) examples in the last century where this has been trialed -
and that in at least one example, inflation went down, not up, quite
contrary to "normal economist" expectations!

Very, very interesting. What this tells us, is that "the abundance
community" (or rather nation), can indeed work - and with robotics and
automation being spearheaded heavily this year by Japan we may well
need such a new economic model for nations in general. The fact that
it has been shown it works in at least a couple examples, is generally
great news of course.

I experience in the "free software"/"libre computing" community -
Debian GNU/Linux, RedHat/Fedora and more, and from me-as-programmer
experience, it is a world of abundance - hackers (the good ones - i.e.
those who do stuff to benefit the community) essentially have an
abundance of the raw material or tools of trade - i.e. all you need is
a computer and away you go, you can write whatever program you think
people might enjoy using - since electricity to run your computer is
close to free - add a few solar cells and it is free.

So in truth all the "information worker" needs to manifest their
creativity (besides their computer) is food and shelter - same for
musicians and certain other creative artists etc.

And since the marginal cost (incremental cost) of duplicating a
(digital) song, or computer program, is very close to zero dollars
(just download it for a tiny bit of electricity expense), then when I
give my computer program to society as free/libre software, I am
causing an exponential benefit to society, since as many people as
have computers, can benefit from my creation.

This is an "abundance economy" in action, and although I don't get
wealth in this situation where I give my computer program away, I get
credos/ ego satisfaction, recognition, esteem from my peers and or the
users of my program, and potentially a job doing something I really
enjoy (supporting users who benefit financially from my program, who
are willing to pay for some support, training, and or enhancements to
my computer program - this will normally just be the companies that
use my program - but RedHat demonstrates that it's possible to build a
billion-dollar company just supporting free software which is pretty
cool).

As long as I can do a bit of travel, have food in my belly and a warm
couple of rooms to live in, I'm basically content and happy with life,
since it is my nature to be creative (with computers) and to give away
my creations.

Regards,