Shiny stuff and designer societies (addenda)

Razer Rayzer at riseup.net
Fri Oct 30 10:25:14 PDT 2015

On 10/30/2015 10:01 AM, Sean Lynch wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 9:56 AM Razer <Rayzer at riseup.net
> <mailto:Rayzer at riseup.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/30/2015 09:52 AM, Sean Lynch wrote:
>>     Something that one might call "societal equality" is of interest
>>     to me, too. But different people have different ideas of what
>>     that means.
>     And that is the point of commonality we work from. The idea is to
>     work towards more of that commonality without sacrificing our
>     individual ethics or morals. Ideas are the 'mutable' element.
>

> This may seem like something of a red herring, but I wish more people
> read Adam Smith's Theory of Moral Sentiments before, instead of, or at
> least in addition to An Inquiry Into the Nature and Causes of the
> Wealth of Nations. And definitely instead of (or at least before)
> anything written by Ayn Rand. I think Rand and cherry-pickers of Smith
> have done a lot of damage to the cause of individualism and
> free-marketism.

Entirely agree. Rand cherry-picked Smith to fit the American
narcissistic dream. Smith didn't idealize that pin factory either. Nor
did Marx in any way support "Marxists". He denounced them on his death
bed, and Lenin, in the process of being poisoned by his Stalin-appointed
nurse said his legacy belonged to Trotsky, NOT Stalin. Lenin wasn't fond
of murderous anti-Semites.

RR