Shiny stuff and designer societies

Shelley shelley at misanthropia.org
Wed Oct 28 18:40:02 PDT 2015

On October 28, 2015 5:01:18 PM Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> wrote:

> On 10/28/15, Shelley <shelley at misanthropia.org> wrote:
>
> > Ever heard of voluntary simplicity?  It's a concept I have embraced for all
> > of my adult life.  I don't have much money because I don't want it.  I
>
> I support and respect your choices.
>
> I say money is not something a sane person should want or not want,
> for itself. Money is a tool in our present "reality".

Sane...yes.  Well that explains the Wall St vultures, then!

> I don't "want any money", but I do want to travel here and there and
> connect to the internet to type with you. At the moment I need certain
> amounts of money to facilitate achieving these things.

Right, and I do understand that.  While I truly wish we lived in a world
where could trade and barter for everything, the ISP and utility companies
want actual payment for services ;)

As was mentioned, nothing is pure or perfect.  Doing the best we can, which
will be different for everyone, is the goal.  Some people really need to
have a car.  I don't, so I do not.

A friend and I do our grocery shopping together.  He has a car because of
work;  I very often take care of his cat.   I'm not going to pretend that I
can walk or bike home with an armload of groceries and 13 kg of cat litter,
lol.  We get to catch up and the chore of shopping goes by quickly.

> I don't have a TV - stopped watching 30+ years ago as a teenager as I
> found so much awesome stuff to read and learn, including the
> creativity I felt when learning to program a computer. Doing for the
> sake of enjoyment - climbing a tree was as enjoyable as typing in the
> next BASIC program, or some years prior, collecting a large pile of
> golden treasure grass (hay).

Right on, Zenaan!  (Sounds like we're about the same age, too.)  It's been
about as long since I watched tv on a regular basis as well.  For my few
indulgences, like The Walking Dead (yep, vegan pacifist likes zombie
apocalypse. Hannibal, too!  Save the animals, Eat the Rude :D ), I go watch
with friends.  More fun that way anyway.
I, um, may have downloaded Mr Robot.  Shhh.

> > My conscience won't allow me to mindlessly consume at the
> > expense of the planet and other people.
>
> A good thing of course. Perhaps a maker workshop within your travel
> capability would appeal to you?

There are several hacker spaces and maker spaces in my city, and many
informal gatherings.  I'm very fortunate :)

> >> Preparing my own food is a waste of time, other people are cheaper, mass
> >> production is cheaper, I'm very mediocre at cooking.
> >
> > It is not ANY of these things.  Use that time on the bus to learn how to
> > cook basic stuff!  Cook on the weekend while hanging out with
> > friends/family or rocking out to music and make your lunches and dinner
> > main dishes for the entire next week.  How is that not saving time, money
> > and being good for your health?
>
> Is the essence of your point to "be mindful" - whether travel, food,
> things? It is remotely conceivable to me that being mindful might
> possibly contribute to a fuller and more meaningful and relaxed
> existence.

Well, yes.  Being mindful isn't always easy, but does lead to a more
fulfilling existence.  It's more of... just trying to be a decent human, as
I see it?  We're all stuck on this rock spinning in space. We may as well
be decent to each other, things seem to be better that way.

What other rational choice is there?  Arbitrary boundaries of countries are
drawn and redrawn like a game of Risk played in a dorm room, and with far
less care; they mean nothing, in the humanistic sense.  We're all in the
same damn boat.  We sink or swim, together.

Note: boundaries of other countries never seem to matter to the jerks who
run mine, for a much different reason.  I am sorry, world.  More than I can
convey.

So, yes.  I feel that all of our choices have a global impact, one way or
another.  I try to tip the scales in favor of the greater good, when I can.

> >  Wouldnt want my "fuck" counter to push me higher on the offensiveness list
> > ;)
>
> Oh, yes, you, would :)

Well, fuck.  Ya got me :p

-S