Shiny stuff and designer societies

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Wed Oct 28 16:54:43 PDT 2015

On 10/28/15, Shelley <shelley at misanthropia.org> wrote:
> On October 28, 2015 8:09:08 AM Lodewijk andré de la porte <l at odewijk.nl>

> Ever heard of voluntary simplicity?  It's a concept I have embraced for all
> of my adult life.  I don't have much money because I don't want it.  I

I support and respect your choices.

I say money is not something a sane person should want or not want,
for itself. Money is a tool in our present "reality".

I don't "want any money", but I do want to travel here and there and
connect to the internet to type with you. At the moment I need certain
amounts of money to facilitate achieving these things.

I don't have a TV - stopped watching 30+ years ago as a teenager as I
found so much awesome stuff to read and learn, including the
creativity I felt when learning to program a computer. Doing for the
sake of enjoyment - climbing a tree was as enjoyable as typing in the
next BASIC program, or some years prior, collecting a large pile of
golden treasure grass (hay).

> My conscience won't allow me to mindlessly consume at the
> expense of the planet and other people.

A good thing of course. Perhaps a maker workshop within your travel
capability would appeal to you?

>> Preparing my own food is a waste of time, other people are cheaper, mass
>> production is cheaper, I'm very mediocre at cooking.
>
> It is not ANY of these things.  Use that time on the bus to learn how to
> cook basic stuff!  Cook on the weekend while hanging out with
> friends/family or rocking out to music and make your lunches and dinner
> main dishes for the entire next week.  How is that not saving time, money
> and being good for your health?

Is the essence of your point to "be mindful" - whether travel, food,
things? It is remotely conceivable to me that being mindful might
possibly contribute to a fuller and more meaningful and relaxed
existence.

>  Wouldnt want my "fuck" counter to push me higher on the offensiveness list
> ;)

Oh, yes, you, would :)