Shiny stuff and designer societies

Razer Rayzer at riseup.net
Wed Oct 28 11:51:23 PDT 2015

On 10/28/2015 08:08 AM, Lodewijk andré de la porte wrote:

>     - Learn how to fix and repurpose things.  Take good care of your
>     things so they last longer.
>

> I know how to fix/repurpose most things. Actually fixing things often
> doesn't compare favorably with just buying a new one - time spent at
> 10 euro's per hour makes most repairs very borderline effective.

Truecost one or two dead 24 year old foxconn/Bangladeshi sweatshop
worker's body into that equation when you do that cost comparison. Even
if it doesn't affect you directly now, it will in the future in the form
of terrorism, because terrorist come from societies and cultures being
destroyed, typically in this day and age for someone else's profit.

> Razer mentioned a TV, I don't own one. I have a sizeable monitor. Much
> prettier than most TVs. I might get a projector someday, it's fun to
> watch movies together like that.
>
> Razer also fuzzes about collectivism vs individualism. They used to
> have collectivism in many nations. They all lost. I think a society
> design that involves individual incentives (the best of capitalism;
> advanced finance, legal persons, markets, competition), global
> optimization (the best of communism; managed competition, fine tuned
> production, >designed markets<), and collective ambition (the best of
> government/academia; being able to strife together and make deep, long
> term investments) would be ideal.

The Zapatistas are a collectivist society and they've far from 'lost'.
Other example must exist but they're not coming to mind, and certainly
'scalability' IS a problem. The homeless in the US spontaneously form
self-supporting collectives that are also highly individualistic. The
only real social structures are 'fuzzy'. The quest for purity, of
thought, political structure, culture, drug, whatever, is a disease.
But my basic stand is, by it's very design, Capitalism is murderous, and
predatory. There is no such thing as 'kinder and gentler' capitalism and
there never will be.

RR