mailing list etiquette violators list

Shelley shelley at misanthropia.org
Tue Oct 27 13:47:39 PDT 2015

On October 27, 2015 12:27:39 PM Lodewijk andré de la porte <l at odewijk.nl>
wrote:

> Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I dislike both.

> Suggestions for alternatives to the game are welcome. Saying "omg so
> fucked" is basically a useless culturally biased statement.
>
> I also don't like the attitude of "shiny shiny stuff" being just that.

>Most of our shiny stuff we get for good reason…

So, so wrong.

Suggestions, in no particular order:

- Don't buy the newest iCrap (or car or tv) every time they shit one out:
you *don't * need it, I assure you.

- Learn how to fix and repurpose things.  Take good care of your things so
they last longer.

- Freecycle, trade with others

- Shop at second hand and thrift stores for most things.

- Think before you buy.  Try to support true fair trade/fair wages and buy
locally whenever possible.  Hint: it's usually possible.

- Use a bike or public transit whenever possible.  Get rid of your car and
use things like Zip Car for the few occasions when you need to use a
personal vehicle.  Share a car with friends if you truly need it for
kids/work/whatever.

- Prepare your own damn food.  Go vegan.

(Hey, you asked for suggestions: these are mine.)

-S