Snowden on the Twitters

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Sun Oct 18 04:54:08 PDT 2015

On 10/18/2015 03:26 AM, oshwm wrote:

<SNIP>

> When your ISP (and every other ISP/Peer) logs traffic then you can
> circumvent this by using a VPN/Tor/i2p etc and so the only logs they get
> prove that you are a privacy conscious customer who is actively using
> the internet.

Right. But it's best if you start with a mass-market popular VPN
service. Then do nested tunnels. Maybe do some torrenting. Blend.

> You can't use VPN/Tor/i2p to bypass the CDN's because the CDN is the
> endpoint in your communications.

Of course not.

> Therefore, the CDN has access to the entire contents of your
> communications which allows them to gather a massive amount of
> information about you.

True. All of it, arguably. But it won't be useful if you've
compartmentalized well enough, through different channels. Some of my
personas probably look a lot more like some of your personas than some
of my other personas. Or if not you, others who are reading this.

> When they can do this across multiple websites then the ability to
> correlate that information into a complete profile of you and your
> online activities becomes very dangerous.

Only if you haven't compartmentalized well enough.

> Unfortunately, avoiding CDNs is difficult because they are part of the
> Corporate and Government effort to centralise the web for exactly the
> reasons I outlined above.

No problem. Compartmentalize!

> So, the wise person expects to lose freedom but the wiser person does
> everything they can to reduce the loss.

For sure.

> One of the things that surprises me on this list is the number of people
> who are happy to accept the loss of privacy that the modern web allows.
> It's as if this isn't the Cypherpunks list after all!!!

There are many funny people on this list ;)