Edward Snowden BBC interview

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Wed Oct 14 06:19:02 PDT 2015

On 10/14/2015 06:54 AM, Georgi Guninski wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 10:09:30AM +0000, Zenaan Harkness
> wrote:
>> Edward Snowden: 'They've Said They Wouldn't Torture Me...' :
>>
>> http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/edward-snowden-theyve-said-
they-wouldnt-torture-me/ri10351

Also: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34444233

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/06/snowden_bbc_interview_anal
ysis/

Edward Snowden denies making a deal with the Russian secret service
> --- Former NSA contractor Edward Snowden has not done a deal
> with the Russian state security agency to acquire political
> asylum, the whistleblower revealed in a television version of
> a BBC interview. ---
>
> I would be very surprised if the russians don't have much more
> of his dump than journos have, even if they don't have "formal
> deal".

I would be surprised if he did deliver docs to the Russians.  Now
that we have had a better look at him, it seems that our Mr.
Snowden is a bit of a fiend for OpSec.  As such, I can't see him
carrying red hot docs, or the means of accessing them, around with
him after confirmed delivery to Greenwald & Co.  In the first
place, doing so would make him a more valuable target for multiple
State actors.  Second, it would provide a big reward to anyone who
might have managed to snatch him and turn him inside out; if he
had nothing, it would at least provide him the satisfaction of
knowing that his captors got nothing of value out of him.

Since it's very credible that Russia was not his intended
destination, the concept of buying his way in with classified
information (a la Lee Oswald) just doesn't fit.  Russia's handling
of Snowden so far has been consistent with their propaganda
objective of appearing to be morally superior to their US/NATO
adversaries in Cold War II.  One might also note that Snowden has
always spoken politely of his Russian hosts but has not made any
overtly pro-Russian propaganda broadcasts.

:o)