Wikileaks releases TPP Intellectual Property chapter in full

oshwm oshwm at openmailbox.org
Tue Oct 13 14:53:53 PDT 2015

My first thought was that an error in the 4xx range was an
authentication/authorisation error (henc the suggestion of blacklisted
Tor exits).

Error 403 states that your request was authenticated but the server
refused to return content to you.

This would be expected for blacklisted IPs but as you stated, using
clearweb IP addresses you got similar behaviour and thus would reduce
the chances that this is due to blacklisting.

The fact that you get a 403 means that the operating System is not
suffering any issues as it is passing the request up to the daemon
software (in this case nginx if the http headers are to be believed).

So nginx itself is functioning well enough to return the 403s and
therefore my guess is that it is refusing some requests in order to
avoid increasing load.

I would expect this is by design in order to avoid uncontrolled failure
of the daemon.

Of course, some of the above is guesswork and so I could be completely
wrong :D