[cryptome] Re: Why cryptome sold web logs to their paying customers?

Shelley shelley at misanthropia.org
Sun Oct 11 10:19:36 PDT 2015

On October 11, 2015 10:05:29 AM lucas power <power.lucas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also seems to be geared toward individuals monetizing blogs and such, which
> to my thinking are just scraps from Big Data's table. I'm more interested
> in understanding how something like me using gmail provides google with a
> product to sell on to a corp or govt actor. How are valuations reached, how
> are transactions structured?

Not Google specifically, but here is one example of the highly invasive
tracking of much, much more than web logs:

https://www.propublica.org/article/verizons-zombie-cookie-gets-new-life

"Verizon is giving a new mission to its controversial identifier that
tracks users that tracks users of mobile devices.  Verizon said in a little
noticed announcement that it will
soon begin sharing the profiles with AOL's ad network, which in turn
monitors users across a large swath of the Internet.

That means AOL's ad network will be able to match millions of Internet
users to their real-world details gathered by Verizon, including  "your
gender, age range and interests." AOL's network is on 40 percent of
websites, including on ProPublica.  AOL will also be able to use data from
Verizon's identifier to track the apps that mobile users open, what sites
they visit, and for how long. Verizon purchased AOL earlier this year."

More at the link, plus previous reports on the Verizon zombie cookie.

-Shelley