The GCHQ Cryptome slide could be a mockup/disinfo

Shelley shelley at misanthropia.org
Thu Oct 8 11:10:51 PDT 2015

On October 8, 2015 10:44:02 AM Travis Biehn <tbiehn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Who cares about these personalities and their websites? Who cares if JYA is
> jerk/whacko/nerd/wizard mage?
> You should assume he is an attacker, just like everyone else.
>
> Getting caught up in this he-said-she-said is totally, ultimately, absurdly
> pointless.
>
> Who cares about cryptome keeping server logs? If you're worried about
> showing up in logs then you ought to be using TAILS. JYAs logs are just
> less accurate copies of what the TLAs, his hosting provider, their upstream
> peers, the guys on the lower floor at the PX & the memory scrapers
> implanted on his server already keep.
>
> -Travis

You're right about the privacy aspect, but still missing the entire point.

I don't care about showing up in server logs, although my personal security
practices are much different now than they were six years ago.  I may have
spotted my own information in the data, and I might be able to prove it
(the Palm Pre is in a box 'o bits & crap somewhere.)

The bigger picture is not why Cryptome appears to be distributing old log
files, but validity of the GHCQ slide in question.  That's why all the data
is being put up for scrutiny, and we are losing sight of the importance of
it with all the noise.

Doesn't matter if JY is a fed asset.  Doesn't matter if Best is a troll
with a personal vendetta against JY/Cryptome (neither of which I believe to
be true, but still.)

A slide was presented as being part of the Snowden dump.  A researcher has
shown that with these log files, anyone could have made this slide.  This
is a Big Fucking Deal with possibly numerous implications about a much
larger dataset.

Forget about who is saying what and just look at the data and draw your own
conclusions.  We are better than this.

-Shelley