Suggest High-Signal Crew Ditch This for Reddit

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Wed Oct 21 18:30:33 PDT 2015

On 10/18/2015 09:42 PM, Razer wrote:

> On 10/18/2015 04:07 PM, Alfie John wrote:
>> the noise may be deliberate:
>>
>> https://theintercept.com/2014/02/24/jtrig-manipulation/
>
> Just watch the Israel trolls. Most are morons, but they sure
> make some 'noise'.
>
> From the article:
>> GCHQ describes the purpose of JTRIG in starkly clear terms:
>> “using online techniques to make something happen in the real
>> or cyber world,” including “information ops (influence or
>> disruption).”
>>
> +1
>
> Influence: Search Engines so googlers see THEIR info first.
>
> Disruption: Make the forums they infest less desirable with
> disinformation, sometimes quite obvious, repeated over and over
> and over again intended to (see 'influence' first and...)
> generally annoy users who disagree with them using ad hom
> filled rants, often tail-ending comment threads so their info
> is first/last seen.

Something I have seen a lot of is professional promotion of
obviously bogus "conspiracy theories" in forums where some of the
more embarrassing excesses of our Deep State and Security Service
get up to are openly and accurately discussed. Maybe it's just
advertising targeting a demographic; there's always a click-bait
website at the source. Or maybe it's stink-marking to repel fence
sitting Liberals who might be edging toward radicalization, or at
least help them remember that subjects they have been taught to
lie to themselves about are "things those ignorant idiots believe."

Either way, same result: The networks are a battlefield and those
who don't come prepared leave disinformed if not brainwashed. Twas
ever thus; what do you say to a person who asks you for a
"trustworthy and accurate news source"?

I tell them there ain't no such thing, and shove a copy of this in
their general direction in hope that it might occasionally do some
good:
http://cryptome.org/2013/01/aaron-swartz/Psychology-of-Intelligence-
Analysis.pdf

Hope springs eternal...