Snowden on the Twitters

Shelley shelley at misanthropia.org
Sun Oct 18 09:35:49 PDT 2015

On October 18, 2015 7:18:36 AM Steve Kinney <admin at pilobilus.net> wrote:

> Ask not how to do everything you can to reduce State and corporate
> surveillance of your doings on the Internet.  Ask rather, how to
> do everything you can to make your use of the Internet damage the
> interests of State and corporate actors, more than their
> surveillance and responses to same can damage you.

Very well said!

There are situations where crypto is required.  We should do everything we
can to help people learn to use it, especially to facilitate their
communications when secrecy is absolutely necessary.

Yes, it's sometimes fun to encrypt fuck-off messages to the spooks inside
lolcats.  But I've reached a point where I'm tiring of the cat-and-mouse
game 24/7.  Encrypting *everything* frustrates them, but to me it also
signals that we expect they are monitoring everything without cause or
suspicion (in violation of the 4th amendment and many other laws of
sovereign nations, worldwide) and we are giving them tacit permission to
continue to do so.

Those who understand encryption and can use it correctly are still a
relatively small minority.  I feel like "encrypting everything" just
because *I* can, while the majority of the planet has never even heard of
Whit Diffie or elliptical curve, sort of defeats the purpose.

We can protect ourselves (and in some cases, at this point in time,
encryption is mandatory to our personal safety - but should not be used as
false security), but dismantling the surveillance machine that captures
everyone's emails to grandma, catalogues every single purchase and aids in
the perversion of justice (via parallel construction, etc) seems to me to
be the nobler goal.

Just my .02.

-S