USB killer v2.0

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 15 12:34:51 PDT 2015

From: Razer <Rayzer at riseup.net>

On 10/15/2015 03:22 AM, Georgi Guninski wrote:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/14/sneaky_220v_usb_fries_laptops/
>> An internet mischief maker has built a USB stick that delivers dangerous
>> 220-volt shocks to PCs, destroying them in the process.
>Tentatively speaking, No. I don't think so... The circuitry is designed
>for 5 volts, and the capacitance available throughout the device is so
>low almost no current would be available either.
Sorry, but you are wrong there.  The amount of power available through a typical USB connection is probably many hundreds of milliamps, at 5 volts.  And this power could be converted, by a switching power supply, to hundreds or even thousands of volts, and stored in an internal capacitor.  Once switched on, internally, and applied back to the data signals, the device could easily fry a few levels of circuitry in the computer.  It would be essentially unrepairable.

           Jim Bell, N7IJS.   The World's Last Tech-Plus Ham