Nominee officers and directors (was: Why cryptome sold web logs...)

odinn odinn.cyberguerrilla at riseup.net
Sun Oct 11 20:21:20 PDT 2015

How does an individual become a "bona fide contractor" to avoid being
"subject to either receiving or implementing court orders or NSLs" as
you put it, and in what circumstances would I want to be a "bona fide
contractor?"  I am certain not everyone would want to be one, for
various reasons.

wirelesswarrior at safe-mail.net:
> Despite almost two decades of cypherpunk activity I cannot fathom
> why U.S. residents operate sites clearly in the cross-hairs of
> intel agencies. Have they never heard of non-resident nominee
> officers and directors? All U.S. resident people dealing with the
> site should be bona fide contractors so they aren't subject to
> either receiving or implementing court orders or NSLs.
>
> -------- Original Message -------- From: bbrewer
> <bbrewer at littledystopia.net> Apparently from:
> cypherpunks-bounces at cpunks.org To: Michael Best
> <themikebest at gmail.com> Cc: cpunks <cypherpunks at cpunks.org>,
> cryptome <cryptome at freelists.org> Subject: Re: [cryptome] Re: Why
> cryptome sold web logs to their payingcustomers? Date: Sun, 11 Oct
> 2015 16:30:00 -0400
>

>>> On Oct 11, 2015, at 4:22 PM, Michael Best
>>> <themikebest at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyway to rule this out other than hearing it from John? How
>>> long before we begin to seriously consider it or assume it?
>>>
>>> And if there was a NSL, why not shut down? Why put users at
>>> ongoing risk??
>>

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavabit
>>
>> "Levison said that he could be arrested for closing the site
>> instead of releasing the information, and it was reported that
>> the federal prosecutor's office had sent Levison's lawyer an
>> e-mail to that effect.”
>>
>> I’m just blabbering on suppositions here, but I wouldn’t be
>> surprised by… anything.
>>
>> -benjamin

- --
http://abis.io ~
"a protocol concept to enable decentralization
and expansion of a giving economy, and a new social good"
https://keybase.io/odinn