[cryptome] Re: Why cryptome sold web logs to their paying customers?

Shelley shelley at misanthropia.org
Sun Oct 11 13:49:08 PDT 2015

On October 11, 2015 1:35:42 PM bbrewer <bbrewer at littledystopia.net> wrote:

> > On Oct 11, 2015, at 4:22 PM, Michael Best <themikebest at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Anyway to rule this out other than hearing it from John? How long before
> we begin to seriously consider it or assume it?
> >
> > And if there was a NSL, why not shut down? Why put users at ongoing risk??
>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavabit
>
> "Levison said that he could be arrested for closing the site instead of
> releasing the information, and it was reported that the federal
> prosecutor's office had sent Levison's lawyer an e-mail to that effect.”
>
> I’m just blabbering on suppositions here, but I wouldn’t be surprised by…
> anything.
>
> -benjamin

That's exactly the example I was going to post, thank you.  Yes, the feds
can force you to keep your compromised site up; basically, anything you
might do to warn users is verboten.

Someone flaming uncharacteristically could be one of the only ways... and,
it *is* old data.

If this is the case, and that's a very tentative IF, there is not much else
he can do (and he did as much as he could without putting himself in legal
hot water.)

-S