USA government debt ceiling

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Sun Oct 11 04:31:26 PDT 2015

> On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 02:46:21AM +0000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > > QUESTION:
> > >
> > > Is there a citable reference for the debt of
> > > $315 treeeeelion?
> > >
> > More info and explanations of the USA's gig is nearly up (and I'm
> > pretty sure their last estimate of 2023 lates, is certainly much
> > further into the future than the actual reset/collapse of US dollar):
> >
> http://english.pravda.ru/business/finance/08-10-2015/132278-us_treasury_swap-0/
> >
> > "There are $630 trillion in outstanding derivatives globally according
> > to the Bank of International Settlements (BIS) in Switzerland. That
> > is, about $630 trillion in bets placed on about $100 trillion in
> > stocks and bonds."
> >

> Interesting (but doesn't seem citable reference to me).
>
> How the financial market is still working?
>
> And how such bets survived so far?

Counting derivatives as debt is definitely 100% misguided. They're also
used to amplify market swings - make or lose more with less motion,
therefore the oversizedness is not surprising. It makes markets more
accurate, liquid and reliable (except f-ups get amplified too sometimes).

Why not just read about this online? It's very public info.