Why cryptome sold web logs to their paying customers?

Michael Best themikebest at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 12:52:08 PDT 2015

*Razer* Rayzer at riseup.net
<Rayzer%40riseup.net?Subject=Re%3A%20Why%20cryptome%20sold%20web%20logs%20to%20their%20paying%20customers%3F&In-Reply-To=%3C56196739.2040408%40riseup.net%3E>
*Sat Oct 10 15:30:01 EDT 2015*

On 10/10/2015 11:51 AM, Shelley wrote:
>>* The Cryptome archives *are* publicly accessible.
*
Imho It's NOT his (Best's) material to decide to post without permission
of the creator. Publicly available or not, at Archive.org.

Cryptome owns the copyright for very little of the material in their
archive. Most of it is public domain items or things that were reprinted
from elsewhere, like news articles. John uses these under fair use, for
educational and research purposes. If John wants to assert a copyright
claim for the items that they did originally produce, then they are welcome
to do so. I'm sure they're capable of it without you.

But I'm guessing that won't convince you, so maybe John Young can. Let's
hear from him, shall we?

"We would have dumped it, the whole thing. Everyone else likes to play this
game: 'What if we harm somebody' or all this kind of crap. Which is
strictly cowardice."

Deborah Natsios said that one of their goals is "To pry open the privatised
domain, the realm of copyright interests, the not-public domain, the
not-public space of corporate interests—but there are private security
guards, global security mercenaries who patrol that boundary."

John then added "We're great advocates of plagiarism and stealing."

I feel like posting the entire archive for educational and research
purposes is entirely fair game. He argues that Citizenfour should be in the
public domain, and I'm sure he'd make that same argument about his archive.
If not, he'll speak up.

--Mike